With so many people now using Smartphone, Video calling on mobiles is getting popular. All it requires is internet on mobile (wifi or 3G) and a video calling application. iPhone has a built in app called Facetime which allows people to do video chat. Android also has good list of video calling apps available for it.
But when it comes to Windows Mobile (Windows 7, 7.5 or even the latest Windows 8 Phones), the number of application is far too less. That being said, some application are present and you can make video calls on windows phone. In this article we will look at the various apps which allows voice and video calling on windows mobile. But first lets look at the available options (apps) or the requirements for this video chatting.
- Calls from Windows Mobile to any SmartPhone: If you are using application “Y” on your windows mobile and your friend is using the same “Y” on his smartphone (Android/iPhone/Tablet/PC/Windows Phone) then you two can video chat with each other for free.
- Need for high speed internet on mobile: Video call quality will be poort with gprs connection. It will be good either with 3G or Wifi connection.
- Your phone should be having front facing camera. You can also use rear camera of your phone for video calling (eg. on Lumia 710/610).
- You can use these apps for voice calls or instant messaging as well.
Skype by Microsoft is world’s largest voip service widely used by people for making video calls. It has a huge customer base and has applications for android, iphone, ipad and PC as well. As Skype is owned by Microsoft and Windows is also by Microsoft, rumors were that Skype will be tightly integrated with windows mobile to provide a unique video calling experience.
- Available for Windows Mobile 7.5 and 8.0
- Skype to Skype Video and Voice Calls are always free
- You can also use Skype for making calls to mobile phone – at cheap international rates.
- Use Skype as an instant messaging service.
- Make free video calls to anyone else on Skype with high definition video on supported devices.
- Stay in touch even when the app is closed, with call and message notifications.
- See all your Skype contacts in the People Hub.
- Use more than one Skype account? Switch accounts when you’re out and on the go.
Tango is one of the best video calling applications. Not only it offers good call quality but it is quite ease to use. From the time has been launched, it is gaining popularity and is giving tough competition to Skype (which the world’s largest voip service).
- Supported for phone having (upto) Windows 7.5 OS
- Widely used by people having Android and iPhone, so you will find many of friends whom you can video call.
- App is free to download, install and use.
Amazingly not many options are available for video chat on windows mobile phones. Though there are voice and text apps, but seems for video the app are way to less. One has to rely solely on Skype for video calling. Lets wait and watch, hoping that more such video chatting apps are launched for windows cell phones.