Video Calling on mobiles, tablets and PC is so much popular now. Almost all the people having smartphones and internet connectivity are either regularly making video calls or have experienced video calling atleast once. All this has happened because of availability of so many video calling apps.
But the case is not so straight forward with Blackberry mobile phones. It seems that Blackberry OS is quite complex and not many video calling apps are available for blackberry phones. Whatever video calling apps are available (any platform), these have some basic set features (or requirements). That is in order to make video calls from your mobile, your Blackberry phone should meet this minimum criteria.
- You must be using high speed internet on your mobile: Video Calling requires significant bandwidth and call quality depends on this. So either wifi or 3g is recommended for video calling.
- Your phone should be having front facing camera: Not a mandatory requirement. Video calling also works from back camera, however it is actually difficult to use it in a video call.
- Your friend (person you are calling) should be using the same app: Lets say you are using app “X” on your blackberry phone. Now you can call your friend (on android/blackberry/iPhone/PC/Tablets/Any other) only if your friend is using the same app “X”.
- All video calling apps atleast support voice calling.
- Phones without camera will offcourse NOT allow video calling.
- Consider reading a guide about how to choose the right mobile phone
One of the most popular video calling application is available for Blackberry Mobile as well. Skype is used by almost all android/iphone/windows mobile users, so you will find lot of your contacts using Skype. Skype to Skype – Video and Voice calls are free.
- Skype to Skype IMs, video and voice calls are free over 3G or WiFi.
- Make low-cost calls and send SMS messages to mobiles or landlines from your BlackBerry® smartphone.
- Talk face to face or show what you’re seeing with front and rear-facing cameras.
- Supported Devices: Blackberry Q10
BlackBerry Messenger is one of the most popular applications on the BlackBerry platform, and now it’ll include video calling and screen sharing on the new BlackBerry 10 phones. It is definitely a good move by blackberry. Its more than 60 million BBM users will get benefited from this new update, however only concern is that it is available only for BB 10 phones. The video calling feature looks to be as straightforward as you’d expect, however Screen Share will let you share a mirror of what’s on your screen with the person you’re chatting with — but it won’t let you hand over control of your device to them, though.
One of the first video chatting application to be launched for Blackberry 10 devices. It allows you to communicate with friends and family in a very easy manner.
Here’s what you can do with your FaceFlow friends:
- Send instant messages
- Call them (voice call)
- Video chat, with up to 3 of your friends at the same time.
- Supported Devices: Blackberry Z10
If your friends don’t have a BlackBerry 10 device, you can still video chat with them, all they need to do is to create an account and login to the website. They are also going to release FaceFlow on other platforms as well – to make sure you can communicate with your friends, regardless of the platform they are using.
WeChat App on Blackberry Mobiles
WeChat app is gaining popularity, it available for almost all the platforms. Many people are using this application for free text messaging, voice calling and yes video calling as well. WeChat app is available for Blackberry phones as well, however not present in the appworld. You need to download the zip files and install these to your phone. The app also offers interesting features like group chat, web wechat, shake etc..
Help us build this list. If you are making video calls from your Blackberry mobile, then do share your experience with us. Please share the app you are using and the model number of your blackberry phone.