One of the very popular mobile application is Shazam. This super cool application helps you recognize any song you are listening. It turns out that Shazam is not the only popular app in this category (and is being reviewed at AppNina), we recently posted a tutorial on using SoundHound for PC (this app is also used by millions of people all over the world).
Coming to Shazam, it is a great alternative to Soundhound. The app allows you to recognize just song you are listening – yes just any music. And not only it recognizes the song but it will also tell you its details – singer, album etc. However Shazam app is a mobile application and works only on mobile phone (Android, iPhone, Blackberry, Windows, Windows8, Nokia etc). It uses your phone’s microphone to record the song, sends it over to the server and then decrypt the song. It works pretty good to identify unknown music.
The Shazam app works so well that it can recognize the music within few seconds. You just need to open the application (when the song/music is already playing and your phone is connected to internet), and let the app do its work. We said that Shazam is a mobile app, however in this article we will show a way with which you will be actually able to use “Shazam on your computer“.
What is Shazam – Feature Set
You went to a party and there is a super awesome music playing. But you are not able to know recognize the song – you don’t know its name. You want to know its name, download the song on your phone, know its singer and album – basically you want to know every detail of this song.
Well Shazam can help you here – this is what it is all about! It connects more than 275 million in 200 countries and in 33 languages.
- Search, Discover and Recognize Music and Songs – Its main primary feature!
- Buy tracks on Amazon MP3
- Watch the videos on YouTube
- See what your friends have Shazamed
- Use LyricPlay to sing along to streamed lyrics
- Listen to the music you Shazam in Rdio or Spotify
- Check out the artist’s bio and discography
- Preview and save your favourites
- Share what you Shazam on Twitter, Facebook & Google+
- Shazam even when you don’t have any coverage; Shazam will match when you have a connection and get back to you with the result
- Shazam from your phone’s home screen with the Shazam Widget
Shazam for PC
We mentioned in the article earlier that Shazam is a mobile application, however just by following simple steps you will be able to use Shazam on your computer. You will be able to search, discover and listen to music on your computer (for free). With the Shazam app you will get all of its feature straight on to your PC – which includes recognizing music, music search and discovery, live lyrics etc..
Requirements: Like SoundHound, you will need to make sure of following requirements:
- Computer – Desktop or Laptop
- Internet Connection (broadband) on your computer
- PC with 2 GB of ram – in short a fast computer
- Microphone and Speakers – Mic will actually record the music
Getting Shazam on PC: Next and big question is – how is it going to work. Shazam is available for android mobile – so if we somehow run Android on our computer then we will be able to use android apps on your PC (laptop or desktop) including Shazam. We will first install an android emulator on our computer – here we are relying on the very famous android emulator named “BlueStacks“. Once we install this piece of software (Bluestacks) – we will be able to run any android application on our computer. Android emulator’s are simple software which can give you feel of android mobile phone directly on your PC. Just follow the steps listed below and you will be running Shazam on PC.
Installing BlueStacks – Android Emulator on PC
I hope you have understood how we are going to install Shazam on computer. As I mentioned getting BlueStacks is the first thing we need to complete. This android player though simple to download and install, however the right configuration needs to be done. Moreover some non techy people do face difficulty getting it up and running on their computer.
To help those people what we have done is written a detailed step by step tutorial and also created a video guide for the same. Simply follow the below video and you should be able to install Bluestacks on your computer. And yes it free.
Please make you sure that you follow the above tutorial step by step and install the BlueStacks app player correctly. If you are facing any BlueStacks Issue, consider reading our solution guide on BlueStacks.
Install Shazam on PC
Once you have the bluestacks android app player on your computer, you simply need to install Shazam app on it. Its quite simple. Follow the below steps
- Open BlueStacks Android Emulator which you have installed on your computer.
- On the home screen of BlueStacks you will see a search icon where you can search for particular application. Click the search icon and type “Shazam”
- This will list down various Shazam options (in three different columns). Though you have option to select any app, however I would suggest you to select the leftmost app from Amazon.
- Click on Install Shazam and this will install it on your PC
- It will start downloading Shazam, and eventually after the download the installation will begin immediately.
- Once downloaded, it will be visible in the “My Apps” Gallery (comes up when you click the home button). Click Shazam App in My Apps to open this application
Using this is quite simple – just use it as you would have used on your mobile phone. There is nothing special on your computer. You simply play the music and it will recognize the song.
Shazam Alternative for PC
- SoundHound App for Computer :- The best alternative I can think of is SoundHound application for your computer. Though it is again an android app but with the help of our detailed tutorial you will be able to install it on your PC. Just follow the tutorial and enjoy !
- Tunatic App :- It is again a very nice application and works in similar ways of Shazam. You require a computer with microphone. Once you have the tunatic app and opened on your computer – you parallely open your media player and start playing your songs. Now Tunatic will listen to these songs, record them and match with the ones in its database. Its database is quite big and covers almost all songs. Once it finds a match, it will list the title of the song and the artist’s name.
- Midomi :- The best part about this app is that you can use your own voice to sing the song or hum the tune of the song you are looking to search for. As long as your computer has a microphone in it, you can play audio or hum the melody and Midomi will find the tune in its extensive library. Download Link!
- Audiggle (Paid Application) – Free app limit your searches to five per month.