Screenshots (capturing what’s displayed on your device screen) are important and sometimes completely unavoidable. At times taking a screenshot of your mobile screen or computer screen can be very confusing and prove to be a tedious task.
When on a computer (specially the windows ones), it was really easy with a click of a keyboard button (print screen) however this button may not be available on all the devices (specially Mac device, Linux devices and your mobile phones). You could be running an application on your mobile phone and want to take a screenshot of it – you won’t like to open some other app to capture the screen (screenshot should be instant and very easy). Below you will find how to take a screenshot on your device (we have tried to capture all types of devices).
Once you have the screenshot
- Some software (or rather say devices) directly save the image, which you can refer later
- For other devices – these just capture the screen and then you will have to save the image yourself (just like we do in windows – print screen and then paste in paint)
How to Take ScreenShot on Android
Android devices (both mobile phones and tablets) are probably the most tricky ones when it comes to taking a screen shot on them. The method varies depending upon the version of Android OS you are running on your device. It also varies if you have rooted your mobile or running the factory version of the OS. However the procedure is same for both mobile and tablets (unless specifically specified).
Running Android Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) and Above
If you are having a mobile phone with ICS or above, then taking a screenshot is pretty easy. Just press the Volume Down button and the power button at the same time and hold this for a second. Your screenshot will be ready. The image will show up in your Gallery app and you can share this with anyone you like.
Running Android 2.3 and Below
Now taking a screenshot may not be straight forward on this phone. Basically this feature is not available by default and some hardware manufactures have tweaked this to offer this feature (on Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Froyo etc). You can try following on your mobile if it works or not.
- Press the Home and Power buttons at the same time to take a screenshot – works on some phone
- Press the home and back button at the same time to take a screenshot – works on Froyo (Samsung Mobiles)
- If you have not rooted your phone: Use App No Root Screenshot : It is an application that lets you take screenshots of your phone. This application works on ALL phones. Root is NOT required. This is a PAID Application!
Please note that this method again varies by phone to phone – works for some Samsung mobiles.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Samsung has included a dedicated screenshot touch button. This is on display at all times: look to the left of the bottom taskbar, then select the right-most icon. The tablet will take a screenshot, then immediately open the file in Android’s Gallery. Note that you will need to click Save if you wish to keep the screenshot.
Sony’s Xperia range, there is a screenshot option in the power-off menu. On the Sony Xperia Z, for example, you hold down the smartphone’s power button, then select ‘Take screenshot’ from the menu.
How to Take ScreenShot on Nokia Lumia
Just like Android phones, the feature of screenshot is not natively available on Nokia Lumia Windows Mobile 7.5 version. So Nokia Lumia 510, 610, 710, 800 phones do not have this feature by default.
Not a straight method
- You’d need to “Developer Unlock” your Lumia. This can be done directly through Microsoft for $99 or by getting an App Hub account which allows the side loading of up to three applications.
- To get the application, you just need to download Screen Capturer v3 from xda-developers.com, the official website of the XDA developers.
- To install the app on the phone, you need to use the deployment tool from the Windows SDK. Just use the search in the Start Menu and type in the name of the application.
- Once the application is installed, all you need to do is click on “Start Capture Task” to start taking screenshots.
- With the application running in the background, navigate your phone to any other application (Note : The app is still incompatible with games and videos)
- When you’ve reached your desired screen, use the hardware camera button to take the screenshot.
- Your screenshots will be saved in the Pictures Hub in standard JPEG format. You can access them on a PC by connecting the phone and downloading the pictures using the Zune software.
If your Nokia Lumia is based on Windows 8, then check the next section. For eg. Nokia Lumia 920 which is based on Windows 8 (has this feature built in the phone).
How to Take ScreenShot on Windows 8 PC/Mobile
This section covers on how you can take screenshot on windows mobile and computer.
Windows 8 Mobile
You can easily take screenshot of your mobile (Lumia 920’s screen).
- Press the power button and the Start button at precisely the same time.
You’ll find the power button in the middle of the right spine and the Start button is the touch sensitive button at the bottom of the screen in the middle. The screen will flash and you’ll hear the usual “taking a photo” sound to indicate a successful capture. To review your screenshots go to Photos and select the album titled Screenshots.
Windows 8 Laptop/PC
- PrintScreen Button pretty good in Windows 8 laptop as well.
- Screen will kind of dim which tells you that you took the screenshot.
- If you would like to view the screenshot, open up your pictures, and it is under the new file labeled “Screenshots”
- The Snipping Tool does much more than take a screenshot of your entire screen, although it can do just that too if you wish. With the Snipping Tool you can grab a window, a free form section of the screen or a simple rectangular grab of any part of the screen and then save image directly to a folder of your choice.
How to Take ScreenShot on Mac Computer
There is a whole list of ways which allow you to take screenshot on your Mac OS. Use the following keyboard shortcuts.
- Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
- Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
- Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
- Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
- Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
- Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard
Read: Please refer to this tutorial for more information on taking a screenshot on Mac OS computer.
Instead of using the keyboard shortcuts above, you can also take screenshots by using “the Grab application” included with Mac OS X.
How to Take ScreenShot on Blackberry
Blackberry has mobile phone as well as tablet. Moreover thing vary depending upon the Blackberry OS version.
Blackberry 10 Mobile
taking a screenshot on BlackBerry 10 is super easy and the function is already built-in out of the box. Keep reading and see just how easy it is.
- Press both the Volume Up and Volume Down keys (on the right side of the device) at the same time.
- You’ll hear a quick camera click and your screenshot will be saved to your Camera folder on your device
Blackberry Curve – or OS other than BB 10
This feature is not built into the phone and you will need to download an app to do the task. You can download an application such as Capture It. This small application simply adds an item to the menu of your BlackBerry that will allow you to take a screenshot of almost any screen.
- The application is free and can be found at www.captureitota.com;
- Make sure to visit this link from your BlackBerry’s browser, as it will make the installation process a lot easier.
- More Such Apps -: ScreenMuncher FREE, QuickLaunch (Paid App)
How to Take ScreenShot on iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
Click the Home and Power button together and you will get your screen captured. Compared to other devices, taking screenshot is probably the most easiest thing do on your iOS devices.
How to Take ScreenShot on HP Web OS
HP WebOS is not new as there are some tablets having this operating system. For webOS phones and tablets, simultaneously press Orange/Gray Key+Sym+P. For the HP Touchpad, press Home Key+Power. In either case, screenshots will be saved to the “Screen captures” folder in the “Photos” app.
How to Take ScreenShot on Linux OS
There are many free software available for Linux operating system which allows you to capture your computer screen.
- KDE-: Use a software called KSnapshot. You can either take full screen snapshot or capture a part of your screen.
- Shutter : Another free software available for Linux platform.
- Pressing the “Print Screen” button will take the screenshot of the “Entire Visible Screen”. When we want to take a particular window, we can use “Alt+Print Screen”.
- gnome-screenshot utility is part of the GNOME Desktop Environment, which can also be used to take screenshot. It also has a command line mode (gnome-screenshot)
- ImageMagick is an open source software suite for displaying, converting, and editing raster image files.
- You can also take screenshot from gimp. Launch gimp, and click “File->Create->Screenshot”. A new dialog window will open with options similar to gnome-screenshot.