How many times has it happened to you that you are listening to a song and can’t identify its singer or the album/movie it belongs to. How many times has it happened that you are watching a particular television series but can’t identify its name. What if we tell you that an application exists which can identify unknown music, television shows, movies – just by letting the application also listen to what you are listening.
Does it sounds crazy or does it sound familiar to you. Well, yes there are mobile applications which can perform this task. All this at least sound amazing but trust me these actually work pretty good. Two popular applications which can identify music are “Shazam” and “Soundhound“. In this article we will be focusing on Soundhound.
Soundhound is a very popular mobile application (available for Android, Windows Mobile, Blackberry and iOS devices), which can identify music/tv shows in just few seconds. You just need to open the app, tap the screen and let the app do its magic. The application basically records what you are listening at (few seconds of song), it then uploads the recording to its server. The app uses some advance technology to search the recording with its huge music/shows database collection. In simple words – it can practically recognize any music (for that matter anything) you are listening.
What’s SoundHound All About – Feature Set
Soundhound not only recognize music but it possesses other interesting features as well. It is even included in my must have application list. Lets find out why ?
- Instant Music search and Discovery – It is the fastest app to search music and works pretty well. If I am in a night club with my friends – this app helps me to act cool. My friends believe that I am complete music freak – knowing it all types!
- You can sing or Hum – SoundHound does not need to listen to actual music inorder to recognize it. You can hum or sing a song and the app will identify the exact song. Intersing isn’t it ?
- Voice Search – Simply type or speak in order to search it.
- In app music player – Now that you have identified the song, wouldn’t you like to play it on your mobile phone.
- Live Lyrics – Not only you can listen to the song but you can actually check out the live lyrics and sing along!
- Discovery – Explore songs discovered in Soundhound much more than they are played on the radio.
Now SoundHound offers some in app purchases like music download. However it also has a free version (by Amazon) which is powered by ADs. This free version also offers unlimited usage – its just that you will see some ads. In this article we will be focsuing on SoundHound Free Application (for our guide on soundhound PC installation).
SoundHound For PC
As we said earlier in the article that SoundHound is a mobile application – available for all mobiles. But what if we actually want to discover, listen and download music on our comptuer (laptop). Well though SoundHound is not officially available for personal computers, however we can still use this amazing app on our computer following some simple steps. You will be able to use all the features of SoundHound on your computer – which includes recognizing music, music search and discovery, live lyrics etc..
Make sure that your computer matches following minimum requirements:
- Computer – Desktop or Laptop
- Internet Connection (broadband) on your computer
- PC with 2 GB of ram – in short a fast computer
- Microphone and Speakers – Mic will actually record the music
How are we getting this for PC
Next and big question is – how is it going to work. SoundHound is available for android mobile – so if we somehow run Android on our computer then we will be able to use android apps on your pc including SoundHound.
We will first install an android emulator on our computer – here we are relying on the very famous android emulator named “BlueStacks“. Once we install this piece of software (Bluestacks) – we will be able to run any android application on our computer. Android emulator’s are simple software which can give you feel of android mobile phone directly on your PC. Just follow the steps listed below and you will be running SoundHound on PC.
Install Android Emulator – BlueStacks
In order to download SoundHound and install it on computer, you will need to install an android player called BlueStacks on your computer. You will also need to configure it properly so that it works fine. We have already written a detailed tutorial about this, check the video below :
Please make you sure that you follow the above tutorial step by step and install the BlueStacks app player correctly. If you are facing any BlueStacks Issue, consider reading our solution guide on BlueStacks.
Install SoundHound on PC
So I am assuming that you have successfully installed the BlueStacks app player on your computer. Next follow the below steps
- Open BlueStacks Android Emulator which you have installed on your computer.
- On the home screen of BlueStacks you will see a search icon where you can search for particular application. Click the search icon and type “SoundHound”
- It will give results for SoundHound in three different columns. Select the leftmost app store to download the app. Though you can choose any of the app store to download the app.
- Click on Install SoundHound on your PC
- It will start downloading SoundHound, and eventually after the download the installation will begin immediately.
- Once downloaded, it will be visible in the “My Apps” Gallery (comes up when you click the home button). Click Soundhound App in My Apps to open this application.
You can use this application just like you use it on your mobile phone!
SoundHound Alternatives for PC
- Shazam :- A very popular alternative to soundhound, its just that this app is also available only for mobile phone. So in order to use Shazam you will have to follow the same tutorial and install Shazam on PC.
- Tunatic App :- To make the application work the inbuilt microphone of your computer needs to be working or you need to have a microphone installed. Just run your media player and let the computer listen to your tracks. You’ll have to click on the interrogation mark in the application window for the program to search its database. It lists the title of the song and the artist’s name as soon as it finds it. Obviously Tunatic doesn’t get it right all the time, and depends hugely on the database of songs that is being maintained by the developers. It is still quite a surprising tool and can find certain songs really quickly. Download Link for Tunatic Application!
- Midomi :- The good thing about this alternative is that you can actually use your own voice and hum the tune of the song you are looking for. As long as your computer has a microphone in it, you can play audio or hum the melody and Midomi will find the tune in its extensive library. Download Link!
- Audiggle (Paid Application) – Free app limit your searches to five per month.