Emoticons or Smileys are those facial expressions (now this has been expanded to small images as well – having some meaning) to represent an emotion. It can be a smile  a sad face -:’( or laughing one or any other emotion. These are mainly formed by a combinations of keyboard characters (in some cases you can directly get an image – viz.. whatsapp) and these can be used on most of electronic devices. It is rightly said that an image can say more than thousands words and so are these emoticons. People use them so often now – in chat, status messages, even in emails and digital letters. Emoticons are so popular among teens and kids – that in 100 words chat they will be using atleast 20-30 smileys. These have become part of our daily chatting.
Coming to the Facebook it offers emoticons in chat, messages and statuses. The use and popularity of these Facebook emoticons is almost same (or may be greater) then other instant messaging applications. However if you compare these Facebook smileys to other instant messaging applications (like Whatsapp or Skype), then these are just far too less in numbers. Whatsapp offers hundreds and hundreds of these emoticons where as if you look at the Facebook Chat these are just few.
How to use Emoticons
- In some cases where the smiley icon is available – you can directly click and use those. This is most common usage – where you see it, click it and use it.
- Use Emoticon and Smiley code – This is another popular way of using these smileys. You can use the keyboard combinations – for example -:) is for smile!
Facebook Emoticons and Smileys
Facebook already offers some default emoticons and smileys which you can use directly (and you need not to remember the code for them).
How to use Smiley in FB Chat
- Open the chat window (start chat with your friend)
- Click the face icon at the bottom of chat window
- Once this opens up, you can select from a list of Facebook Smileys .. as seen in the image below.
That should help you use the default facebook chat emoticons. As seen in the above window the number of these smileys is too less (far too less if you compare this with Whatsapp). So does this mean that you cannot use more emoticons.
Hidden and Secret Facebook Emoticons and Smileys
Just like Skype, Facebook also offers a set of emoticons and smileys which are not directly visible in the above image list. However you can still use them if you are aware of the codes for them. Below we present to you list of these hidden codes which you can use.
- These are tried and tested in Facebook Chat window
- These hidden codes will not (may be you can try) in the status window (or wall posts). For statuses, please see the next section.
- How to use – With every image you see a code – so directly use that code and write that (or copy paste) that code in the chat window. When you will hit enter it will convert to a smiley.
Hidden Facebook Emoticon Collection – Works only on Computer
This page has good collection of hidden codes for some amazing Emoticons (the big ones). It works only on computer and will not work on mobile. Using it is very simple – just copy the code in the window there and use it directly in the facebook chat window.
Small Icons – Smileys Codes
- Visit this webpage
- This again works only on computer and may not work on mobile chat.
- To use them – simple visit the page, copy the code (click on image and ctrl+c), paste this in facebook chat window.